Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Guidelines for a radiative heat transfer model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have to lead a study on an annealing process of a moving copper wire by radiation, and I do not know how to start.

I need a model with an iron tube heated by a resistive solenoid, and this tube will heat the copper wire by radiation. I determined by calculation what should be the heat flux density phi1 to have the copper wire at the right temperature, and I have to know the electic properties (power or tension) I need in my solenoid to respect phi1

It's important to note that the copper wire is moving on x scale, and that between the tube and the wire, there is a flow of gaseous nitrogen for the neutral atmosphere, but it should not interfer a lot in the heat transfert.

Eventually, I would like to have a little help on what modules I have to use, and some of the boundary conditions too. The Figure is attached below.
Thank you for your time!

2 Replies Last Post Jun 20, 2011, 3:18 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2011, 5:29 a.m. EDT
So far I used "Joule heating module", with surface-by-surface radiations, but i end up with increadibly high temperatures (like a million K) even with a very weak potential difference (0.5 V). I read that from a tutorial "Model the electrically generated heat using the Shell, Conductive Media DC application mode from the AC/DC Module." but I don't know what to do with that (plus there is no way to visualize heat).

Thanks for your help
So far I used "Joule heating module", with surface-by-surface radiations, but i end up with increadibly high temperatures (like a million K) even with a very weak potential difference (0.5 V). I read that from a tutorial "Model the electrically generated heat using the Shell, Conductive Media DC application mode from the AC/DC Module." but I don't know what to do with that (plus there is no way to visualize heat). Thanks for your help

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 20, 2011, 3:18 a.m. EDT
Any idea or another model already proposed I could take a look to ?
Any idea or another model already proposed I could take a look to ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.