Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make my variable changes with time??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am new user of COMSOL-Heat transfer module.

I want to make my heat source (heat flux) is function of time...

Example:

Q (heat flux)= 200/5 * t1

hear t1 is time which is selective like (0, 5, 10, 15 second).... So my heat source supply heat when t1==t (actual time)..

Please help me in this matter, I tried analytical but I think, I could not understand this function properly !!!

Thanks in advance. :)

Regards,
Chirag Patel

2 Replies Last Post Oct 22, 2011, 11:20 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2011, 3:28 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you want a wariable to change with time, you simply write out the equation with the internal variable "t" such as

Q = Qa[W/m^2/s] * t + Q0[W/m^2]

the units might change depending on your model and BC conditions.

If you want to "turn on and/or off" a source at a given time or during a period of time, then define a "step()", or "pulse" operator to add in the "Definition - Function" node and multiply the Qa by this step function, i.e.

Q = Qa[W/m^2] * step(t[1s]) + Q0[W/m^2]

Note the change of units, AND the t[1/s] as operators/functions want that the call variables are unitless, in this case I enforce it to seconds, but min or hours are also possible (check the units symbols in the doc)

To begin with COMSOL you need to read the doc a few times to get used to the notations, it takes some time, but it's fully worth it

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want a wariable to change with time, you simply write out the equation with the internal variable "t" such as Q = Qa[W/m^2/s] * t + Q0[W/m^2] the units might change depending on your model and BC conditions. If you want to "turn on and/or off" a source at a given time or during a period of time, then define a "step()", or "pulse" operator to add in the "Definition - Function" node and multiply the Qa by this step function, i.e. Q = Qa[W/m^2] * step(t[1s]) + Q0[W/m^2] Note the change of units, AND the t[1/s] as operators/functions want that the call variables are unitless, in this case I enforce it to seconds, but min or hours are also possible (check the units symbols in the doc) To begin with COMSOL you need to read the doc a few times to get used to the notations, it takes some time, but it's fully worth it -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 22, 2011, 11:20 a.m. EDT

Hi, Ivar
Thank you very much for your reply.

Hi, Ivar Thank you very much for your reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.