Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

inaccurate temperature profiles and meshing related

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

gaining temperature!!

1. I am running some simple calibration tests for temperature profiles and
heat conduction.
2. I take two blocks (one with very low conductivity
and other with very high conductivity).
3. I applied temperature to only one side of one of the blocks.

According to the profile shown, it looks to gain temperature( by looking at the data range of the surface
temperature profile from 400k to 400.00000000342084k ),this is with the extremely fine mesh setting.

With coarse mesh setting, the temperature is all uniform.
could somebody help explain this mystery to me!!!

2 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2011, 3:25 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 3, 2011, 10:19 p.m. EDT
The gained temperature of 3.4e-9 K is well within the range of numerical round off errors.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The gained temperature of 3.4e-9 K is well within the range of numerical round off errors. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2011, 3:25 a.m. EDT
Hi

and do not forget how numbers are represented in a computer, binary distribution has a limited precision and tricky uneven distribution over the real numbers. So I never trust differences much above 1:1E6

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi and do not forget how numbers are represented in a computer, binary distribution has a limited precision and tricky uneven distribution over the real numbers. So I never trust differences much above 1:1E6 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.