Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inclined pipe flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi every one,

I want to model laminar flow in an inclined pipe. The inclination angle is 65 degree. How should I define the flow in such cases?

Thank you so much and your help is highly appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 4, 2011, 3:30 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2011, 3:30 a.m. EDT
Hi

well if you say it's "inclined" you probably mean w.r.t gravity, so ou want to use a body load on your fluid to get the flow going ?

If so a 2D-axi model is not obvious, as the gravity along any angle other than along the axis destroys the 2D-axi symmetry of the model (if yomeone has a good trick here to stay in 2D-axi I'm interested ;)

So I see only 3D, to simulate truely a "pipe", but a first approxiamtion with standard 2D and an "infinetly long pipe" in the out of plane Z direction shoudl also give you useful information

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well if you say it's "inclined" you probably mean w.r.t gravity, so ou want to use a body load on your fluid to get the flow going ? If so a 2D-axi model is not obvious, as the gravity along any angle other than along the axis destroys the 2D-axi symmetry of the model (if yomeone has a good trick here to stay in 2D-axi I'm interested ;) So I see only 3D, to simulate truely a "pipe", but a first approxiamtion with standard 2D and an "infinetly long pipe" in the out of plane Z direction shoudl also give you useful information -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.