Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference between MEF and EMW frequency study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

There are two different physics interfaces Magnetic and Electric fields interface in ACDC module and Electromagnetic Fields, Frequency domain interface in RF module.

As I understood from the manual, both interfaces work without any static assumptions in frequency domain analysis.

MEF interface uses Maxwell-Ampère's law with displacement current included. And using the constitutive relations and equation of continuity it obtains two equations in terms of A and V and solves for these variables.

EMW interface solves for the wave equation.

These two methods seems equivalent to me. Are there any difference between them when used with a frequency domain study?

1 Reply Last Post Jun 18, 2019, 8:28 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 18, 2019, 8:28 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jun 18, 2019, 8:39 a.m. EDT

There is overlap between the two modules of ac/dc and emw. You can read this for more info as it was written better than I can do here:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/computational-electromagnetics-modeling-which-module-to-use

There is overlap between the two modules of ac/dc and emw. You can read this for more info as it was written better than I can do here:

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.