Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle tracing in a turbulent Airflow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I am a complete noob with comsol and have a problem I can`t solve.
Please take a look at my mph and tell me where I got wrong.
I have a turbulent flow which comsol simulates fine and I want to use the new Particle module only to get a hunch of it!
I have a velocity distribution and want to simulate particles which get influenced by this velocity field.

PLEAE HELP!!!

BR,
Michael

3 Replies Last Post Nov 26, 2011, 12:32 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2011, 6:15 p.m. EST
Do you mean Particle Trajectory Study?I also tried it and y it solved with no problem but when I tried to add particle database to datasets it gave a geometry error.

What error are u receiving?Did you try post processor particle tracking plots?

I was not able to open the file since I have 4.2. (I don't understand why it is not back compatible since this is a minor update)

For particle trajectory study, you need to enable your physics by clicking on red cross.

Do you mean Particle Trajectory Study?I also tried it and y it solved with no problem but when I tried to add particle database to datasets it gave a geometry error. What error are u receiving?Did you try post processor particle tracking plots? I was not able to open the file since I have 4.2. (I don't understand why it is not back compatible since this is a minor update) For particle trajectory study, you need to enable your physics by clicking on red cross.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 24, 2011, 2:07 a.m. EST
Okay, I think I should be more pricisely...

I am using the particle tracing module to simulate particles in a turbulent airflow. I already simulated the turbulent airflow (spf). When I try to simulate any kind of particles and plot the Particle Trajectories I get crap.
I get no errors though.
It seems that the particles never leave the inlet... but I cannot figure out why.

BR,
Michael
Okay, I think I should be more pricisely... I am using the particle tracing module to simulate particles in a turbulent airflow. I already simulated the turbulent airflow (spf). When I try to simulate any kind of particles and plot the Particle Trajectories I get crap. I get no errors though. It seems that the particles never leave the inlet... but I cannot figure out why. BR, Michael

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2011, 12:32 p.m. EST
Did you have a look at the Particle Tracing Module Guide.?There are 2 models in the library which may also be helpful.

Check following

-Particle Mass
-Particle Initial Velocity is (u,v)
-T_max and dt

If you upload your file, I may have a look at it. I solved more than 30 different models with various conditions but still working on this module.
Did you have a look at the Particle Tracing Module Guide.?There are 2 models in the library which may also be helpful. Check following -Particle Mass -Particle Initial Velocity is (u,v) -T_max and dt If you upload your file, I may have a look at it. I solved more than 30 different models with various conditions but still working on this module.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.