Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solve second order time-derivative term equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I'm sorry for my bad English.

I'm trying to solve the following equation.
(d^2 x)/(d t^2) + (a + b * cos(θ) )*x = 0

(d^2 x)/(d t^2) = second order time-derivative term
a,b = constant
x,θ = variables

I'm trying to solve this equation with Equation-Based Modeling (PDE interfaces).
But I can't understand how to solve it with COMSOL.
Does someone has any idea to solve this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 26, 2011, 12:21 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2011, 12:21 p.m. EST
Hi

COMSOL can only solve diff equatins fitting into the shapes ofthe general or coefficient form (which cover most "physics" induced phenomena.

So you need to reexpress your equations by separating them, clearly defining constans, coordinate variables and dependent variables. Sometimes also creating new dependent variables, particularly if you have higher order terms than the 2nd order, which understand is not you case.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL can only solve diff equatins fitting into the shapes ofthe general or coefficient form (which cover most "physics" induced phenomena. So you need to reexpress your equations by separating them, clearly defining constans, coordinate variables and dependent variables. Sometimes also creating new dependent variables, particularly if you have higher order terms than the 2nd order, which understand is not you case. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.