Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Type of MW Heating

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using COMSOL 4.0 a for microwaves heating and was just wondering whether the microwave heating in Heat Transfer module of comsol works for dielectric heating or just electromagnetic heating?
In addition, on heating an object with microwaves (not necessarily inside the microwave oven), does it incorporate the heat transfer as well or it is merely the electromagnetic waves heating and what equations COMSOL employ for microwave heating? How can I see them in COMSOL 4.0 a?

Can any one please comment on these issues?

Thanks in advance!!!

2 Replies Last Post Jan 8, 2012, 1:11 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 4, 2012, 4:41 p.m. EST

Today, I was wanting to know more about the governing equations for Microwave Heating (MH).
A Google search brought up:
www.jmpee.org/jmpee_site/Vol_44(4)/JMPEE44-4-187Salvi.pdf
which provides a description of the governing equations.

In my COMSOL V4.2a, load a file from the "model library", such as "microwave oven".
Click on Microwave heating,
In the settings field in the center you will see Equations half way down, open.
You can see the 2 governing equations.

Ed
Today, I was wanting to know more about the governing equations for Microwave Heating (MH). A Google search brought up: http://www.jmpee.org/jmpee_site/Vol_44(4)/JMPEE44-4-187Salvi.pdf which provides a description of the governing equations. In my COMSOL V4.2a, load a file from the "model library", such as "microwave oven". Click on Microwave heating, In the settings field in the center you will see Equations half way down, open. You can see the 2 governing equations. Ed

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 8, 2012, 1:11 a.m. EST
Thanks Edwin,

I am using COMSOL 4.0 a and in this version I can not see the equations employed in the way you mentioned. I can only see the options shown in the image attached and there is no option for Equations over there, as you mentioned.

Maybe someone else will comment on it. By the way, do you have any idea of defining the latent heat of vaporizarion in the COMSOL as I could not see any option for this. I am heating a specific volume of water and want the water to change its phase after reaching 100 degree centigrade.

Thanks for reply once again!
Thanks Edwin, I am using COMSOL 4.0 a and in this version I can not see the equations employed in the way you mentioned. I can only see the options shown in the image attached and there is no option for Equations over there, as you mentioned. Maybe someone else will comment on it. By the way, do you have any idea of defining the latent heat of vaporizarion in the COMSOL as I could not see any option for this. I am heating a specific volume of water and want the water to change its phase after reaching 100 degree centigrade. Thanks for reply once again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.