Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Torque load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to apply a torque load of 100 cNm to a simple shaft. I have done this by making a cylinder and applying point forces to the four edge points at one end and fixing the other end.

But my question is: Is there not a simpler way by which you can just fix one end and apply the torque to the other? (I know that the rigid connector can apply a displacement angle but not a torque) It seems like something that the software could cope with easily but I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

3 Replies Last Post Jan 9, 2012, 5:57 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 6, 2012, 7:17 a.m. EST
Hi

Certainly yes. Point forces makes singularities. There was a good example in the "solid" manual of 3.5a, I have also left an example on the model exchange (for 3.5a). And you can find several references on the Forum, try a search.

In V4 you might apply the same 3.5a described method (with an ODE) but you can also use the "Rigid Connector", with the limitation that you are making the boundary of the rigid connector fully stiff, this might have some collateral effects on your model, check carefully the doc.

I have heard that a "Soft Connector " is under preparation, looking forward for that ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Certainly yes. Point forces makes singularities. There was a good example in the "solid" manual of 3.5a, I have also left an example on the model exchange (for 3.5a). And you can find several references on the Forum, try a search. In V4 you might apply the same 3.5a described method (with an ODE) but you can also use the "Rigid Connector", with the limitation that you are making the boundary of the rigid connector fully stiff, this might have some collateral effects on your model, check carefully the doc. I have heard that a "Soft Connector " is under preparation, looking forward for that ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 a.m. EST
Thanks for your response Ivar.

I have been looking at the 3.5 structural mechanics example but again, it seems an awfully long winded method for what is simply:

Fix at one end.
Torsion at other.

This probably isnt helped by my lack of experience with v3.5 but theres definitely nothing more straight forward?

Regards,

Chris
Thanks for your response Ivar. I have been looking at the 3.5 structural mechanics example but again, it seems an awfully long winded method for what is simply: Fix at one end. Torsion at other. This probably isnt helped by my lack of experience with v3.5 but theres definitely nothing more straight forward? Regards, Chris

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2012, 5:57 a.m. EST
Hi

if you are in 3.5a that is the "cleanest", but adding a tangential force along en edge works too (better than 4 point forces)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are in 3.5a that is the "cleanest", but adding a tangential force along en edge works too (better than 4 point forces) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.