Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer in solids with phase transition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm building a heat transfer model with two contacting domains: a copper cube and ice rod. The copper cube is a heat source and one end of the ice rod is contacting the cube and the temperature of the other end of the rod is constant. Therefore, the heat is generated in the copper cube and then flows to the right through the ice rod.

I'm using a time dependent study and get volume, surface or isothermal pictures but don't know how to get plots such as T vs. position at fixed times or T vs. time at fixed positions.

I also want to know how to deal with phase transition. I know I can use Heat transfer in fluid if I have only one domain for the phase change but don't know if I have two domains (copper and ice): when the temperature goes high, the copper cube will be still solid but the ice should melt.

I also don't understand how COMSOL deals with heat transfer through the contact boundary between the cube and rod. I don't have thermal contact boundary condition right now, but only have Heat transfer in solid through the two domains.

Thank you for your help in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 8, 2020, 2:54 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Suhun Jo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.