Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing a complex geometry of a fault into the 3D geological model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am struggling with importing complex geometries of fault systems into my 3D geological model in COMSOL. I have tried many techniques and all of them seem to fail. See the description below:

1) I tried to include faults with a .dxf file and the fault geometry is nicely imported, however it seems to be weirdly compartmentalized and rather too complex (see picture). I am not able to merge this geometry into one surface.

2) I tried to import it as a polygon (just using the boundary lines of the fault) with a closed curve. Polygons are nicely imported, however i am unable to create solid or surface out of it (i get a message that output object is empty) (see picture).

3) I tried to import it using the interpolation function. It seems to import well the geometry, but as the geometry is pretty complex, i am left out with weirdly quazi-horizontal planes on the top and the bottom of the fault (see pictures), which i cannot remove as the surface is not 100% flat.

Does anybody have similar issue? I would very much appreciate some help and some suggestions how I can implement faults into my 3D geological model. See pictures below.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2020, 10:09 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michal Kruszewski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.