Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help about deformed shape fitting to a curvature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am trying to do a work: make a membrane (1cm*1cm*0.05mm) bend to fit a fixed curvature (such as r=1cm) and then detect its strain distribution.
But now I don't how to define load/constrait to make the membrane perfect fit the the curvature.
Could you give any help.
Thank you.

Best,
Hongyi Mi

3 Replies Last Post Feb 2, 2012, 1:42 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 30, 2012, 4:06 p.m. EST
Hi

try something like:
Define an interpolation function interp1(R) as the deformation you desire w.r.t. a variable R=sqrt(X^2+Y^2) I assume here your deformation is regular in X,Y.
Set up your solid model (or shell), add a boundary pressure load Fp acting on the membrane
Define a variable R = sqrt(X^2+Y^2) (upper case on the material frame pls check for 3.5)
Define an integration on the membrane domain where it deforms
Define a ODE (Global equation) with Variable Fp and equation intop1(w-interp1(R)) = 0 intop1() in 3.5 is a boundary integration coupling (if I remember right, names have changes)
Solve
this should work, it will get an average pressure load that deforms the membrane up to the interp(R) values, in a least square way

If you have the solid/structural doc in 3.5, you can check the example of the torque load, this uses a similar approach to apply a torque on a bar

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi try something like: Define an interpolation function interp1(R) as the deformation you desire w.r.t. a variable R=sqrt(X^2+Y^2) I assume here your deformation is regular in X,Y. Set up your solid model (or shell), add a boundary pressure load Fp acting on the membrane Define a variable R = sqrt(X^2+Y^2) (upper case on the material frame pls check for 3.5) Define an integration on the membrane domain where it deforms Define a ODE (Global equation) with Variable Fp and equation intop1(w-interp1(R)) = 0 intop1() in 3.5 is a boundary integration coupling (if I remember right, names have changes) Solve this should work, it will get an average pressure load that deforms the membrane up to the interp(R) values, in a least square way If you have the solid/structural doc in 3.5, you can check the example of the torque load, this uses a similar approach to apply a torque on a bar -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 1, 2012, 11:21 p.m. EST
Thank you for reply.

But I am still confused.

For a 2D case. If the curvature R is fixed eg. 1cm. Do I still need to define a variable R=sqrt(x^2+y^2). If this related to the membrane position (x,y).
For Fp, which direction should it be, or in both of x and directions.
Also could you tell me what the w is in equation intop1(w-interp1(R)) = 0.

Thank you.
Thank you for reply. But I am still confused. For a 2D case. If the curvature R is fixed eg. 1cm. Do I still need to define a variable R=sqrt(x^2+y^2). If this related to the membrane position (x,y). For Fp, which direction should it be, or in both of x and directions. Also could you tell me what the w is in equation intop1(w-interp1(R)) = 0. Thank you.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2012, 1:42 a.m. EST
Hi

sorry but you did not give that much explanations about your model options, I was in 3D, you can perfectly analyse this in 2D with membrane deformation in Z, you are right and it solves quicker ;)

w is the displacement in Z (you have u,v,w for the resulting "solid/structural) deformations along X,Y,Z respectively

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry but you did not give that much explanations about your model options, I was in 3D, you can perfectly analyse this in 2D with membrane deformation in Z, you are right and it solves quicker ;) w is the displacement in Z (you have u,v,w for the resulting "solid/structural) deformations along X,Y,Z respectively -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.