Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get displacement versus time graph from velocity versus time graph

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
In one of my simulations, I got v-t graph. Now I want x-t graph (x=displacement, not distance) . I know that I have to find the area under the graph. I used evaluation->line integral->chose the boundary and typed velocity*time. Is it right?

With regards
Siva

2 Replies Last Post Feb 6, 2012, 6:55 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2012, 2:34 a.m. EST
Hi

in which physics are you ? if its solid, the displacement is u,v,w the dependent variable elements

if you are in CFD you solve for the velocity so you must integrate the velocity either with an ODE or the timeint() operator (new in 4.2a)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in which physics are you ? if its solid, the displacement is u,v,w the dependent variable elements if you are in CFD you solve for the velocity so you must integrate the velocity either with an ODE or the timeint() operator (new in 4.2a) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2012, 6:55 a.m. EST
Thank you very much Dr. Ivar.
I have selected 2D flow (spf) physics. And using accelerated frame (body-fitted) of reference. I have solved for velocity and have the data.
timeint() is indeed very useful.
I was wondering what we get is distance (path length or actual distance travelled -scalar) or displacement (shortest distance -vector)?

With regards
Siva
Thank you very much Dr. Ivar. I have selected 2D flow (spf) physics. And using accelerated frame (body-fitted) of reference. I have solved for velocity and have the data. timeint() is indeed very useful. I was wondering what we get is distance (path length or actual distance travelled -scalar) or displacement (shortest distance -vector)? With regards Siva

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.