Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

General Form PDE (KdV): Moving BC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL community

I'm am trying to integrate the KdV equation with a moving BC using the "General Form PDE" Interface. I basically implemented the equation the same way it was shown in the COMSOL help/ tutorial. Now I want the left BC's x-position (x_g) to be changed over time. Ideally its movement should depend on the form of the incoming solitons/ waves. Moreover the solution's value at the boundary depends on its x-position (Dirichlet BC: R[x _g(t)] ). Does someone know a way how to implement such a model in COMSOL?

The idea behind this can be pictured as a diverging channel which ends in a lake and according to the incoming waves' form and speed, the point where the channel "ends" and the lake "begins" should be moving. This is an artificial model though. Most important is the moving boundary and its dependency on the KdV solution.

It should look like this:

t1:
//////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////// <- , ’’,
////////////////////////~~~’’’’’’’~~~~
////////////////////
..CHANNEL | FREE SURFACE

t2:
//////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////// ’’,
////////////////////////’’’’’’’’~~~~~~~~
////////////////////
......CHANNEL | FREE SURFACE

Thanks for your help!

0 Replies Last Post Feb 6, 2012, 6:44 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thomas Steinbacher

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.