Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase Angle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can I calculate phase angle at the output ports for 2D model of 2x2 MMI coupler?

1 Reply Last Post Jul 6, 2020, 11:44 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 6, 2020, 11:44 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Jul 6, 2020, 11:45 p.m. EDT

I use the RF module and you asked about the wave optics module, but they are usually similar, so.... I use the arg function { arg (put field component here) } applied to the complex field. This gives you the argument (i.e., the phase in radians) of the complex field component in question. You can apply it at a single point or (if you set up a probe with an average over a line) you can apply it to a field average across a port, for better accuracy.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I use the RF module and you asked about the wave optics module, but they are usually similar, so.... I use the arg function { arg (put field component here) } applied to the complex field. This gives you the argument (i.e., the phase in radians) of the complex field component in question. You can apply it at a single point or (if you set up a probe with an average over a line) you can apply it to a field average across a port, for better accuracy.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.