Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elastic Wave Propagation in Anisotropic Media and PML

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing an issue regarding PML in anisotropic media. I am interested in wave propagation in anisotropic elastic media thus the PML is also the same medium as propagation domain with anisotropic parameters. However, I never get convergence of results by changing the simulation size/PML size etc. I saw reflections from PML. I also did the simulations for isotropic media and everything works.

Does anybody know any issue regarding PML implementation in the case of anisotrpic media?

or Should I take care some additional degrees of freedom such as symmetries or strech parameter etc. for the implementation in the case of anisotrpic media?

Regards, Burak

1 Reply Last Post Dec 17, 2020, 9:23 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Burak Gurlek

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Dec 17, 2020, 9:23 a.m. EST

The PML is intrinsically unstable for some of anisotropic media that violate the stability condition. In this case, the PML provides no convergent solution.

The PML is intrinsically unstable for some of anisotropic media that violate the stability condition. In this case, the PML provides no convergent solution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.