Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Revolved mesh in 4.2a it's there with the 3D sweep function

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

A few days ago, someone asked about the revolve mesh function, and I complained that it had dissapeared after 3.5.

But that is not true! It's still there but under "sweep" in V4. After a discussion with Sven our local COMSOL office responsble, we tried out the sweep function and here is an example how a revolve can "easily" be generated with a "SWEEP".

Note a quad mesh cannot be swep around if it touches the axis, but that is really because then the QUAD mesh on the axis has a degenerated boundary and two overlapping points, and COMSOL does (in 4.2a) not recognise this mesh and does not transform it automatically to a lower level element tri type

You need to cut your domain into two, not necesarily equal parts, as I have done here.

By clicking on the 3 "Definition View" I hide some of the "air" domain to see the interiour.

To get a more regular mesh, one can pre-mesh some radial edges with i.e. log spaced progression

It's rather evident once you have done it, still it has taken a year for me to discover it ;)

--
Have fun COMSOLing
Ivar

3 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2012, 4:13 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2012, 4:23 p.m. EDT
Thank you Ivar!
Thank you Ivar!

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2012, 8:07 p.m. EDT
I've been using this method for a while and sometimes it's giving me hard times. Specifically, it would sweep first domain just fine but fail on the second domain. The way to go around it is to mesh one face first, then copy mesh to the second face. After that, it sweeps both domains with no problem.
I've been using this method for a while and sometimes it's giving me hard times. Specifically, it would sweep first domain just fine but fail on the second domain. The way to go around it is to mesh one face first, then copy mesh to the second face. After that, it sweeps both domains with no problem.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2012, 4:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

Indeed one limitation with a sweep mesh: the start and ending boundary must have the same shape and mesh (COMSOL will make the copy if it manages to identify a similar start and stop boundary, else you must do it by hand and or copy the mesh first. I managed by making my revolution in 2 steps (domains) for the 360° turn, and then meshed one section and defined the start and stopboundaries (of the middle part, COMSOL finished the rest alone)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed one limitation with a sweep mesh: the start and ending boundary must have the same shape and mesh (COMSOL will make the copy if it manages to identify a similar start and stop boundary, else you must do it by hand and or copy the mesh first. I managed by making my revolution in 2 steps (domains) for the 360° turn, and then meshed one section and defined the start and stopboundaries (of the middle part, COMSOL finished the rest alone) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.