Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time at which the steady state solution has been reached

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm working on a model composite by the physics "magnetic field, no currents" and "pde".
I have done 2 different solution, one "time-dipendent", and the other "steady state solution". The two solutions have compatible trend, but I can't find, in the COMSOL options, the exact time at which the "steady-state" has been reached by the phenomenon.
How can I do?

Thanks in advance,
Fabio

1 Reply Last Post Apr 24, 2012, 9:49 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 24, 2012, 9:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

the steady state analysis doesn't tell anything about time. You must look at the results of the time-dependant analysis. In many cases you find something like an asymptotic behavior and you can try to extract a time constant from it.
I don't think COMSOL can provide this automatically and the meaning of a steady-state condition is subject to definition. At which degree of approximation do we talk of steady-state, 90%, 99%, ... You must decide by yourself.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi the steady state analysis doesn't tell anything about time. You must look at the results of the time-dependant analysis. In many cases you find something like an asymptotic behavior and you can try to extract a time constant from it. I don't think COMSOL can provide this automatically and the meaning of a steady-state condition is subject to definition. At which degree of approximation do we talk of steady-state, 90%, 99%, ... You must decide by yourself. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.