Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nonlocal couplings assistance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm looking for advice on non-local couplings to transfer the value of variables at boundaries from one component to another.

I have a fairly simple model: 1D components of adsorption beds built by a colleague (which I'd like to keep with slightest modifications) and a new 2D axisymmetric component for ducts to connect between and beyond the beds. My intent is to model gas flows through this system where the reasonable assumption that the air at the boundaries from the "ducts" to the "beds" can be a well-mixed average/integration. My problem is how to properly utilize Non-Local Couplings in my model to go from 2D axi-symmetric down to 1D and from 1D to 2D axi-symmetric. I feel as if this should be very simple, but something fundamental must be miswritten in my model, particularly with coordinates.

These methods have failed and I don't know why.

1. Using the "Integrate" non-local coupling to go from 2D-axi -> 1D produces errors. I integrate the 2D-axi "outlet" boundary and call for the variables that component contained in the 1D model at the "inlet" point. Something like "Bed_P_inlet = duct.integrate1(duct.p)" so that the 1D model has an inlet presssure boundary condition.

2. Using "General Extrusion" for the same, mapping the 2D-axi boundary down to 1D. I cannot get coordinates to behave in either direction. The boundaries are given equivalent values, so z and x are the same value.

3. Using "General Projection" for the same intent as the extrusion, mapping downward in dimensions. I expect the r-coordinate to be integrated and for x in 1D to map to z in 2D.

All of the transfered values are scalars (mass fractions, pressure, temperature, total flowrate), so I see no reason a point-to-boundary mapping should fail.

1 Reply Last Post May 9, 2023, 4:26 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 12 months ago May 9, 2023, 4:26 a.m. EDT

Hi Greg,

It seems like your first suggestion should work. In principle, you can use either an integration coupling from 2D axial symmetry to 1D or a general extrusion from 1D to 2D axial symmetry, with the boundary condition in the other direction. But an extrusion from 1D should be easier to implement as an integration, using an Integration coupling operator. Please contact the COMSOL support team if you have further questions: https://www.comsol.com/support.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Greg, It seems like your first suggestion should work. In principle, you can use either an integration coupling from 2D axial symmetry to 1D or a general extrusion from 1D to 2D axial symmetry, with the boundary condition in the other direction. But an extrusion from 1D should be easier to implement as an integration, using an Integration coupling operator. Please contact the COMSOL support team if you have further questions: . Best regards, Magnus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.