Electric Current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I am currently simulating Joule Heating by applying Electric Potential and Ground boundary conditions at the corresponding boundaries of imported CAD geometries. There already is experimental data for some of the designs I am investigating, so it would be great to extract values for the electrical current to compare it with values measured with an multimeter. I know it has to do with Integration over the current density; my question would be how excatly would I approach this problem?

4 Replies Last Post Feb 28, 2024, 5:29 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 26, 2024, 1:15 p.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Feb 26, 2024, 1:42 p.m. EST

I'd use the electric currents (ec) interface and specify the potentials, much like you said. Don't forget that you'll need to specify the conductivity of the materials you are modeling. Mesh the geometry in sufficient detail. You can plot the current density in post-processing. You can integrate current density over a surface with using a pre-defined Probe (Definitions-->Probe-->Boundary Probe) or via post-processing, (Results--> Derived Values--> Surface Integration). Oh, and if you setup your potential surface as a "terminal", the integrated total current will be available in post-processing as the "terminal current." Ask more specific questions if you have other concerns.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I'd use the electric currents (ec) interface and specify the potentials, much like you said. Don't forget that you'll need to specify the conductivity of the materials you are modeling. Mesh the geometry in sufficient detail. You can plot the current density in post-processing. You can integrate current density over a surface with using a pre-defined Probe (Definitions-->Probe-->Boundary Probe) or via post-processing, (Results--> Derived Values--> Surface Integration). Oh, and if you setup your potential surface as a "terminal", the integrated total current will be available in post-processing as the "terminal current." Ask more specific questions if you have other concerns.

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 27, 2024, 3:18 a.m. EST

To summarize: I would put a cross-section through which the current flows, that I can then integrate over either via a probe or in post-processing. That already helps a lot; Thank you. Could you however elaborate on the "terminal" setup? This is the first time I come across this term.

To summarize: I would put a cross-section through which the current flows, that I can then integrate over either via a probe or in post-processing. That already helps a lot; Thank you. Could you however elaborate on the "terminal" setup? This is the first time I come across this term.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 27, 2024, 9:49 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Feb 27, 2024, 9:48 a.m. EST
  1. You can use your final (input or output) surfaces as the relevant cross-section; you don't need to introduce a separate surface just for the current to pass through (although that can work too, if you prefer).
  2. The "Terminal" boundary condition (bc) is one of those available among the choices of bc's in the electrostatics (es) interface. Electrostatics --> Boundaries --> Terminal. You then have various types of terminals to choose from. When you are looking at something like that and want to know more, hit the F1 key to bring up context-sensitive Help. For example, when I do that, the Help system tells me (among other things): "The Terminal node provides a boundary or domain condition for connection to external circuits, to transmission lines, or with a specified voltage or charge. By specifying zero charge, a floating potential condition is obtained." And then there is plenty of additional discussion after that. But... ultimately, you'll need to experiment with the various settings, and also with the various post-processing options, to effectively increase your knowledge of this tool. Despite all the documentation and examples available, mastering (to the extent that is even possible) the use of Comsol Multiphysics requires a mix of curiosity, observation, practice, patience, and perseverance.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. You can use your final (input or output) surfaces as the relevant cross-section; you don't need to introduce a separate surface just for the current to pass *through* (although that can work too, if you prefer). 2. The "Terminal" boundary condition (bc) is one of those available among the choices of bc's in the electrostatics (es) interface. Electrostatics --> Boundaries --> Terminal. You then have various types of terminals to choose from. When you are looking at something like that and want to know more, hit the F1 key to bring up context-sensitive Help. For example, when I do that, the Help system tells me (among other things): "The Terminal node provides a boundary or domain condition for connection to external circuits, to transmission lines, or with a specified voltage or charge. By specifying zero charge, a floating potential condition is obtained." And then there is plenty of additional discussion after that. But... ultimately, you'll need to experiment with the various settings, and also with the various post-processing options, to effectively increase your knowledge of this tool. Despite all the documentation and examples available, mastering (to the extent that is even *possible*) the use of Comsol Multiphysics requires a mix of curiosity, observation, practice, patience, and perseverance.

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 28, 2024, 5:29 a.m. EST

Thanks again for the detailed answer.

I was able to get satisfying results.

Thanks again for the detailed answer. I was able to get satisfying results.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.