Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Designing a Micropump with a Deformed Membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What is/are the best physic(s) to be used when designing a PDMS micropump that has a deformed membrane?
What is the best of these choices for this kind of design:

1. Solid Mechanics + Laminar Flow
2. Solid Mechanics + Laminar Flow + Moving Mesh
3. Fluid Structure Interaction

or any other choices, if possible ...
May you explain the reason behind your choice?

Best regards,
Marwan

5 Replies Last Post Mar 16, 2015, 12:08 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 10 years ago May 20, 2014, 2:06 a.m. EDT
Hi Marwan

I would go for it as:

1) FSI
2) moving mesh + structural + laminar (if truly laminar check your Reynolds numbers)

as you have solid large motions you need the moving mesh for the fluidics, but as Solid has its own type of moving mesh, you should respect the order a) moving mesh physics b) then the two others (and I would start with Solid)
But "FSI" for me is "just" the combination of the 3 physics, made read for you by COMSOL, so why not use that ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Marwan I would go for it as: 1) FSI 2) moving mesh + structural + laminar (if truly laminar check your Reynolds numbers) as you have solid large motions you need the moving mesh for the fluidics, but as Solid has its own type of moving mesh, you should respect the order a) moving mesh physics b) then the two others (and I would start with Solid) But "FSI" for me is "just" the combination of the 3 physics, made read for you by COMSOL, so why not use that ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago May 20, 2014, 12:00 p.m. EDT
Thank you so much Mr. Ivar Kjelberg for your kind help.

Best regards,
Marwan
Thank you so much Mr. Ivar Kjelberg for your kind help. Best regards, Marwan

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 12, 2015, 11:07 p.m. EDT
sir i am also working on mems based micropump...............i have tried to simulate it but failed to do so.........please help me ....i want to know how you have setup a physics to deform the membrane?? sir i have attached a paper please help me...........
sir i am also working on mems based micropump...............i have tried to simulate it but failed to do so.........please help me ....i want to know how you have setup a physics to deform the membrane?? sir i have attached a paper please help me...........

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 13, 2015, 12:38 a.m. EDT
Hi. I can't find your attachment.
Hi. I can't find your attachment.

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 16, 2015, 12:08 p.m. EDT
I HAVE ATTACHED THE PAPER. SIR I AM NOT ABLE TO SIMULATE THE MICROPUMP............PLEASE HELP ME
I HAVE ATTACHED THE PAPER. SIR I AM NOT ABLE TO SIMULATE THE MICROPUMP............PLEASE HELP ME

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.