Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Explicit Solid Mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I have a solid mechanics problem comprising a hyperelastic material (Mooney-Rivlin(2 params) that is placed under compression resulting in large deformation. The construction is such that contact takes place resulting in a change in compressive stiffness as load is applied.

To date I have had very limited success using an auxillary sweep load with Lagrangian contacts in 2d axisymmetric and as soon as I consider 3D the success in terms of convergence if further reduced.

I'm thinking that perhaps I need to consider using an explicit time-dependent solver (no previous experience), Runge-Kutta, but when I attempt to set this up I getting the following error "singular explicit time stepping matrix" ...obviously I have something not quite correct but I am unsure where to start looking. I have also set 'linear solver to lumped'.

CG

4 Replies Last Post Mar 17, 2015, 4:46 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 16, 2015, 10:19 a.m. EDT
Hi,

The Time Explicit solver will not work here. One reason is that the mass matrix is singular for this family of problems, since all degrees of freedom (e.g. the auxiliary pressure in the hyperelastic material) do not give mass matrix contributions.

There are several possible causes for the problems in your original model. Some examples:

- A Mooney-Rivlin material is only conditionally stable. For some strain states, the material model itself is singular.
- The penalty factor may need adjustment
- The mesh may need refinement

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The Time Explicit solver will not work here. One reason is that the mass matrix is singular for this family of problems, since all degrees of freedom (e.g. the auxiliary pressure in the hyperelastic material) do not give mass matrix contributions. There are several possible causes for the problems in your original model. Some examples: - A Mooney-Rivlin material is only conditionally stable. For some strain states, the material model itself is singular. - The penalty factor may need adjustment - The mesh may need refinement Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 16, 2015, 11:40 a.m. EDT

The Time Explicit solver will not work here. One reason is that the mass matrix is singular for this family of problems, since all degrees of freedom (e.g. the auxiliary pressure in the hyperelastic material) do not give mass matrix contributions.

Thank you for your reply.

When you say family of problems I'm not sure what you mean ...the use of hyperelastic materials?

Cheers CG
[QUOTE] The Time Explicit solver will not work here. One reason is that the mass matrix is singular for this family of problems, since all degrees of freedom (e.g. the auxiliary pressure in the hyperelastic material) do not give mass matrix contributions. [/QUOTE] Thank you for your reply. When you say family of problems I'm not sure what you mean ...the use of hyperelastic materials? Cheers CG

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 16, 2015, 1:16 p.m. EDT
Hi,

This solver is mainly intended for some transient wave-type problems, see the documentation. We do not recommend the Time Explicit solver for any structural mechanics purpose, since there are many features which are not adapted to it.

As an example, Contact using the Augmented Lagrange method will not work either.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This solver is mainly intended for some transient wave-type problems, see the documentation. We do not recommend the Time Explicit solver for any structural mechanics purpose, since there are many features which are not adapted to it. As an example, Contact using the Augmented Lagrange method will not work either. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 17, 2015, 4:46 a.m. EDT
Thank you Henrik for your clarification, appreciated

CG
Thank you Henrik for your clarification, appreciated CG

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.