Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

viewing 2d plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

this seems to be a simple thing but i cant seem to figure it out. i have very high aspect geometry in my model so it helps to view it (in 2D) with the axes not being equal. this was simple in previous comsol versions. i can do it in 4.0 through changing the view settings under definitions, but then this view doesnt carry through to the 2d surface plot (even though the same view is specified in the 2d plot settings). is this a bug or am i missing something?

Thanks,
Adam

12 Replies Last Post Mar 6, 2014, 9:33 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 18, 2010, 7:58 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure its implemented yet, I was also looking for it the other day, no success so far ;)

sorry for that cannot do better
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure its implemented yet, I was also looking for it the other day, no success so far ;) sorry for that cannot do better Ivar

Cornelis Van der Veen

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2011, 4:39 p.m. EDT
Has this been fixed yet? My model domain has an aspect ratio of (height:width) = (1:100) so if make contour plots showing the entire domain I get essentially a horizontal line.
Has this been fixed yet? My model domain has an aspect ratio of (height:width) = (1:100) so if make contour plots showing the entire domain I get essentially a horizontal line.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2011, 3:43 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Yes, in 4.1, go to Defintions>View>Axis in the Model branch (or the Axis subnode for another View if used) and clear the "Preserve aspect ratio" check box. Then update the plot (and possibly click the Zoom Extents button) to make the geometry fill the Graphics window.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Yes, in 4.1, go to Defintions>View>Axis in the Model branch (or the Axis subnode for another View if used) and clear the "Preserve aspect ratio" check box. Then update the plot (and possibly click the Zoom Extents button) to make the geometry fill the Graphics window. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2011, 10:08 a.m. EDT
Hi

check the "view" node(s), & sub-node you have a few check boxes about scaling there

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the "view" node(s), & sub-node you have a few check boxes about scaling there -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 3:28 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I'm having the same problem than Adam. My solution is very simple: concentration vs. time vs. length in a 3D plot built from the height expression of a surface 2D plot. I have several domains of a few micrometers and one domain of 5 millimeters. When I selected a dependent variable and its domain on COMSOL 3.5 it adjusted correctly de x-axis scale in order to display the results in a full 3D plot. But in COMSOL 4.1 I'm getting only lines, and so thin that they seem almost invisible. I've tried everything: zoom extents icon, deselect "preserve aspect ratio", deselect "lock axis"... and nothing works. I think it's a bug of the last version 4.1.0.185. Besides, I'm unable to find any way to choose the axis min/max representation in 3D plots. The axis subnode only appears in 1D and 2D view subnode.

Exists any way or workaround to fix it? Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'm having the same problem than Adam. My solution is very simple: concentration vs. time vs. length in a 3D plot built from the height expression of a surface 2D plot. I have several domains of a few micrometers and one domain of 5 millimeters. When I selected a dependent variable and its domain on COMSOL 3.5 it adjusted correctly de x-axis scale in order to display the results in a full 3D plot. But in COMSOL 4.1 I'm getting only lines, and so thin that they seem almost invisible. I've tried everything: zoom extents icon, deselect "preserve aspect ratio", deselect "lock axis"... and nothing works. I think it's a bug of the last version 4.1.0.185. Besides, I'm unable to find any way to choose the axis min/max representation in 3D plots. The axis subnode only appears in 1D and 2D view subnode. Exists any way or workaround to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 3:40 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have a "Range" tab in the "3D plot - Surface" sub-node where you can change scale and range. You can also link different styles in between plots

You have also "filtering" to select only some parts, domains or values, and you can also make a derived "Data Set" with only part or projections of the results

I'm not sure what you mean about correctly scaling the "x axis" ? in 1D line plots you have by default "arc length" as X-data, but you can change that too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have a "Range" tab in the "3D plot - Surface" sub-node where you can change scale and range. You can also link different styles in between plots You have also "filtering" to select only some parts, domains or values, and you can also make a derived "Data Set" with only part or projections of the results I'm not sure what you mean about correctly scaling the "x axis" ? in 1D line plots you have by default "arc length" as X-data, but you can change that too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 4:05 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your help. I have a 2D plot built from a parametric extrusion of a 1D data set.

I'm solving a simple diffusion problem, so at first I have some 1D line plots of concentration vs. position. Each line belongs to a different time.Then, I build a parametric extrusion data set from the original solution data set and plot it on a 2D surface graph. Everything works well until then. But when I tell COMSOL to plot the height expression of the 2D surface in a new 3D graph I only obtain an ultra-thin line of a few micrometers thick because the x-scale is set to 5 mm (the total length of all domains) and that concentration only exists in a specific micrometric domain.

What can I do? Thanks very much in advance.
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your help. I have a 2D plot built from a parametric extrusion of a 1D data set. I'm solving a simple diffusion problem, so at first I have some 1D line plots of concentration vs. position. Each line belongs to a different time.Then, I build a parametric extrusion data set from the original solution data set and plot it on a 2D surface graph. Everything works well until then. But when I tell COMSOL to plot the height expression of the 2D surface in a new 3D graph I only obtain an ultra-thin line of a few micrometers thick because the x-scale is set to 5 mm (the total length of all domains) and that concentration only exists in a specific micrometric domain. What can I do? Thanks very much in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 4:29 a.m. EDT
I'm working now with the 2D surface graph and when I change the X-min and X-max axis values COMSOL automatically changes the Y-min and Y-max values to "preserve aspect ratio" I suppose. And it does that even with the "preserve aspect ratio" box deselected. Furthermore, I noticed the zoom box tool not works on that graph because it zooms only in the y-scale but not in the x-scale. It must be a bug, I'm sure.
I'm working now with the 2D surface graph and when I change the X-min and X-max axis values COMSOL automatically changes the Y-min and Y-max values to "preserve aspect ratio" I suppose. And it does that even with the "preserve aspect ratio" box deselected. Furthermore, I noticed the zoom box tool not works on that graph because it zooms only in the y-scale but not in the x-scale. It must be a bug, I'm sure.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 7:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

well bug reports must go to "support" as I cannot do much, I'm not even "COMSOL" but there is one trick in 2D view you need to refresh manually the plot (in the view window) AND then the rescale in the 2D plot window and in that order (if I remember right) It's what's called a feature ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well bug reports must go to "support" as I cannot do much, I'm not even "COMSOL" but there is one trick in 2D view you need to refresh manually the plot (in the view window) AND then the rescale in the 2D plot window and in that order (if I remember right) It's what's called a feature ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 17, 2011, 4:57 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I think v4.2 has a similar bug. I have a 16 x 5 aspect ratio, but when we go to export it as an image sequence or gif or flash, comsol (randomly?) places an image every so often which has aspect ratio 1:1 -- the picture itself keeps the same pixel ratio 1000 x 700 though. I've ticked the preserve aspect ratio and all that.

My "workaround" is to take advantage of the randomness and export several "identical" image sequences and then just merge the two taking only the 16 x 5 ones.
Hi, I think v4.2 has a similar bug. I have a 16 x 5 aspect ratio, but when we go to export it as an image sequence or gif or flash, comsol (randomly?) places an image every so often which has aspect ratio 1:1 -- the picture itself keeps the same pixel ratio 1000 x 700 though. I've ticked the preserve aspect ratio and all that. My "workaround" is to take advantage of the randomness and export several "identical" image sequences and then just merge the two taking only the 16 x 5 ones.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2011, 5:33 a.m. EST
I also noticed this feature in the 4.2 version, when exporting images.

If someone else needs help, problem is fixed in the update 1
*Lock aspect ratio now works as expected also for image export.

Seems to be working well.
I also noticed this feature in the 4.2 version, when exporting images. If someone else needs help, problem is fixed in the update 1 *Lock aspect ratio now works as expected also for image export. Seems to be working well.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2014, 9:33 a.m. EST
Hi all,

I am new to Comsol, and I am using comsol3.4, I have the same problem.
how can I change the scale of axis for the surface plots?
right now the surface 2d plot seems like line and I have ratio of (x to y) is 100:1.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sepideh
Hi all, I am new to Comsol, and I am using comsol3.4, I have the same problem. how can I change the scale of axis for the surface plots? right now the surface 2d plot seems like line and I have ratio of (x to y) is 100:1. Thanks in advance for your help. Sepideh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.