Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal Damping in Transient Solid Mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

In Comsol version 4.1, I would like to know how we can assign Rayleigh damping or loss factor damping coefficients to the material properties in the Solids Mechanics while performing transient analysis, like we used to do in 3.x versions.

Thanks in advance,
Onur

4 Replies Last Post Feb 9, 2012, 11:41 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 4, 2011, 4:36 a.m. EDT
Hi

right click the "Linear Elastic" node and add "Damping", and set accordingly the selections and data

In general in V4 right click all nodes until lowest level, be aware that new sub nodes might appear and change depending on settings in the main physics node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi right click the "Linear Elastic" node and add "Damping", and set accordingly the selections and data In general in V4 right click all nodes until lowest level, be aware that new sub nodes might appear and change depending on settings in the main physics node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 4, 2011, 4:41 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

Thank you for your quick response.

Regards,
Onur
Hello Ivar, Thank you for your quick response. Regards, Onur

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2012, 12:15 p.m. EST
Hi,

It seems that in transient solid mechanics the damping is not taken into account. I tried to introduce a structural loss factor but whatever the value i put in the subnode "Damping" i still have the same results.
I also introduced a complex young modulus but i got the same results. Did you face this problem?? i'am on Comsol 4.2 and 4.2a
In frequency domaine evrything is ok!

Thanks
Hi, It seems that in transient solid mechanics the damping is not taken into account. I tried to introduce a structural loss factor but whatever the value i put in the subnode "Damping" i still have the same results. I also introduced a complex young modulus but i got the same results. Did you face this problem?? i'am on Comsol 4.2 and 4.2a In frequency domaine evrything is ok! Thanks

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2012, 11:41 p.m. EST
Structural loss factor damping works only in the frequency domain. You can use Rayleigh damping, or a material model that has built in damping, such as viscoelastic.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Structural loss factor damping works only in the frequency domain. You can use Rayleigh damping, or a material model that has built in damping, such as viscoelastic. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.