Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Building a circular ring with Comsol.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I'm a beginner in using Comsol and I'm trying to build a pipe around a cylinder. I don't know how to solve this problem.
I've already tried to use "Convesion to Solid" but he always fill the whole area. I want to have a gap. I've uploaded a screenshot to make my problem clear.

4 Replies Last Post Apr 24, 2012, 10:24 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 24, 2012, 7:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

in 2D, or 3D check the "Layers" tab in the geometry nodes, and take a look at the corresponding help file ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 2D, or 3D check the "Layers" tab in the geometry nodes, and take a look at the corresponding help file ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 24, 2012, 9:39 a.m. EDT
Marcus,

build the geometry from outside to inside:

1. Define the outer circle for the pipe
2. Define the inner circle for the pipe
3. Subtract inner from outer
4. Define the cylinder inside the pipe

This should give you the domains you want.

Cheers
Edgar
Marcus, build the geometry from outside to inside: 1. Define the outer circle for the pipe 2. Define the inner circle for the pipe 3. Subtract inner from outer 4. Define the cylinder inside the pipe This should give you the domains you want. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 24, 2012, 9:57 a.m. EDT

Marcus,

build the geometry from outside to inside:

1. Define the outer circle for the pipe
2. Define the inner circle for the pipe
3. Subtract inner from outer
4. Define the cylinder inside the pipe

This should give you the domains you want.

Cheers
Edgar

Sincerly, this will not build the geometry I want to build as shown on the attached drawing.

@Ivar Kjelberg

There is no "Layers" tab in the geometry node.
[QUOTE] Marcus, build the geometry from outside to inside: 1. Define the outer circle for the pipe 2. Define the inner circle for the pipe 3. Subtract inner from outer 4. Define the cylinder inside the pipe This should give you the domains you want. Cheers Edgar [/QUOTE] Sincerly, this will not build the geometry I want to build as shown on the attached drawing. @Ivar Kjelberg There is no "Layers" tab in the geometry node.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 24, 2012, 10:24 a.m. EDT
Excuse me. I've found the layer tab and I could solve the problem. Thank you very much.
Excuse me. I've found the layer tab and I could solve the problem. Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.